Advanced Diagnosis &
Treatment for Pet Cancer
Not too long ago, having a pet diagnosed with cancer meant the end was probably not far off. With today’s treatment advances, Animal Kind Veterinary Hospital knows that pets with cancer have a much better chance.
Cancer is a group of diseases that are characterized by abnormal cells growing out of control. It can cause tumors that may invade surrounding tissues and even spread to other organs throughout your pet’s body. The earlier cancer is diagnosed, the quicker we can begin treatment. We use several kinds of tests to detect this disease:
- Blood tests to check for enzymes that may indicate a tumor
- Urinalysis may find blood or suggest the presence of cancer in the bladder
- Biopsy to remove a piece of tissue for examination by a veterinary pathologist
- Cytology for visual examination of cells under the microscope
- Imaging, such as ultrasound and X-rays, to determine the extent of cancer in the body and locate masses
You may choose to take your pet to a veterinary cancer specialist or oncologist, or you may opt to have treatments done here. We will work with you to develop an appropriate protocol for chemotherapy treatments that can be done on an outpatient basis. Every step of the way, we will explain what we are doing and why. You will, as always, be an important member of your pet’s care team.