I really wish you hadn’t eaten that. Part three, houseplants.

There are enough toxic plants on planet Earth to make me feel as a mammal that Mother Nature is out to get me. Luckily, just like most Americans, dogs and cats generally ignore plants. However, there are some exceptions and in this installment I will discuss a few of the plants that we see cause problems for our patients here at Animal Kind. (For a very good set of photos and a rather exhaustive list of toxic and non-toxic plants, I recommend the ASPCA Poison Control website.)

Lily photographed 20 yards from Animal Kind

Lilies

One of the most common serious plant toxicities veterinarians see is lily toxicity in cats. All parts of a true lily plant, genus Lilium, flower, leaves, and bulbs, are extremely toxic to cats. Any possible exposure should be treated as an emergency with early and aggressive medical care. Kidney damage and possibly kidney failure can occur as much as two days after a cat has swallowed some of this plant. If treatment is delayed until kidney failure occurs, the consequences can be most dire. Dogs are not affected by lilies. Continue…

I really wish you hadn’t eaten that. Part two, chemicals.

In this installment I will reinforce the obvious and appropriate assumption that pets should not eat chemicals that are dangerous for people. Specifically I will focus on a few things that are common toxic exposures for cats and dogs right here in Brooklyn.

Rodenticides

One of the most common serious toxicities we see at Animal Kind is the ingestion of various types of rodent poison bait by a dog or less often, a cat. Because these poisons are designed to imitate food, they are usually very attractive to our pets as well as the intended targets. There are many types of these poisons varying in both appearance and toxic ingredients. At the risk of stating the obvious, it is never a good idea, no matter how carefully positioned the poison may seem, to use any of these products in a household with pets. Thankfully, for most of these poisons effective treatment is available if the poisoning is recognized early. Turquoise or red dye added by the manufacturers to most of these baits will be visible in a pet’s stool and can provide an early warning of this type of poisoning, even if no one witnessed them eating it. Due to the potential seriousness and the common use of rodenticides in our area, even a potential exposure is a good reason to see your vet right away. Continue…