When we think of beach and ocean safety, certain ideas immediately come to mind – drowning, sunburns, jellyfish, etc. Drinking too much salt water generally isn’t one of them, but for our pets, this should be of particular concern.
Saltwater poisoning in pets is a serious and often overlooked risk. Review our beach safety tips to keep your day at the shore from turning into a tragedy.
Too Much of a Good Thing
Ingesting too much saltwater is toxic to dogs, cats, and humans. When the intestines contain excess salt (a condition known as hypernatremia), it causes water from the bloodstream to enter into the intestines. Many problems can result from hypernatremia, including death in extreme cases. Continue…