The holidays are about family, friends, and celebrating the season with those we love most. And of course, this includes our pets. The season wouldn’t be the same without them, but if you find yourself rushing to one party after another, shopping till you drop, and falling head first into the holiday hustle and bustle, your loving pet may feel a little left behind.
Instead, the team at Animal Kind Veterinary Hospital has come up with some fun ways to celebrate the holidays with your pet (while keeping them happy and healthy at the same time)!
Celebrate The Holidays With Your Pet…
- Bake some delicious holiday pet treats. Baking is a time honored holiday tradition. Simple ingredients that you have around the house already make most pet treat recipes a no-brainer. And your dog and cat will love the together time while the cookies in the oven.
- Play some indoor games. When the weather outside is frightful, you and your pets can have epic fun indoors with pet games galore. Play hide-n-seek with your dog, or laser pointer tag with your cat. Teach your pet a new trick, or do some nose work games to get her brain really working. Even indoor fetch or stair ball will get your pet’s heart rate up, reduce her chances for obesity, and keep her from boredom and the behavior issues that can result.
- Take a hike. A walk on the wild winter side might be just the ticket to spending the holidays with your pet. As they say, there is no bad weather, just bad clothing – so gear up with your dog and hit the road. Check out the neighborhood decorations and lights, stroll to your neighborhood pet friendly cafe for a warm drink, or visit a snowy dog park for fun in the drifts.
- Relax together. After a long day of shopping, nothing beats curling up on the couch with your best friend and a holiday movie or classic. Relaxing down time together during the holidays can also reduce your blood pressure, alleviate stress, and calm your mood.
- Shop for your pet. There is no shortage of great pet gifts that can be had right from the comfort of your own home – with online shopping. Get the perfect gift for the pet or pet lover in your life.
…And Keep Them Safe
However you choose to celebrate the holidays with pets, make sure they stay safe and healthy. Here are a few tips for holiday pet safety whether on the go or relaxing indoors:
- Make sure they are fully vaccinated and on parasite prevention
- Check that pets wear their collar and ID tags, and that microchips are registered with your current contact information.
- Keep pets hydrated, even in cooler weather.
- When going out and about, use a carrier or crate in the car to make sure your pet is safe, and never leave pets unattended in a vehicle.
- Make sure your pet can’t access holiday treats that might be toxic to them.
- Check the ASPCA list of toxic and non-toxic plants before bringing any holiday plants into your home.
- Pay attention to holiday decorations that can cause a pet emergency.
- After walking or going outside, wipe paws and belly to remove salt and deicing chemicals.
From all of us to you, have a safe and happy holiday season! Don’t forget to give us a call if you have any pet health questions.