Pets, like people, feel better when they are clean. Whether your pet willingly jumps into the tub or is nowhere to be found when it comes time for a bath, regular pet grooming supports your pet’s mental and physical health. Plus, clean pets typically enjoy extra snuggles and smooches!
There are many great reasons why regular pet grooming is necessary for your furry companion. The team at Animal Kind Veterinary Hospital has compiled a few beneficial reasons why grooming goes far beyond keeping your pet smelling good (and that’s certainly a benefit too!).
Health Benefits of Pet Grooming
A pet grooming regimen works alongside your pet’s regular wellness examinations, good nutrition, and exercise in supporting good health and vitality in the following ways:
- Skin and coat – Daily brushing keeps shedding to a minimum, increases blood flow to the skin, and promotes distribution of oils in the coat. The direct contact with your pet’s skin can also alert you to lumps, lesions, or other abnormalities that may need to be checked out.
- Mats and tangles – Regular grooming is essential for pets with medium to long fur. If left unattended, matted fur can result in hot spots and even secondary infections. Serious matting should be handled by a qualified groomer.
- Bathing – A bath removes dirt and grime from the fur and paws, and gets rid of buildup that forms around the eyes. Your veterinarian can help you determine a bathing schedule that’s appropriate for your pet.
- Nail trims – Overgrown nails can make your pet uncomfortable, become torn and/or infected, and can place undue stress on the feet and joints, leading to arthritis and other problems. Make nail trimming a regular occurrence for your pet.
- Ear care – Checking inside your pet’s ears should be a part of any pet grooming regimen. Redness, swelling, discharge, or a foul odor can indicate an infection that needs medical treatment.
- Dental hygiene – Daily toothbrushing is the single best way to stave off dental disease in pets and should be included in your pet care routine. We will be happy to demonstrate proper technique at your next wellness visit.
Year-Round Pet Grooming at Animal Kind
Not every pet owner wants to groom their pet at home, and sometimes professional grooming is a necessity. Your team at Animal Kind Veterinary Hospital is proud to have our very own groomer on staff, so your pet can enjoy a safe and gentle grooming experience right here in the comfort of our clinic.
Give us a call for more information or to set up an appointment for your pet!