Rodenticide Poisoning in PetsRats, mice, cockroaches, ants, and other pests are big problems in any urban environment, and many people turn to pesticides to keep these annoying critters out of their home.

Although it’s understandable to want to keep your home pest-free, insecticide and rodenticide poisoning in pets is a serious problem. Follow our tips to protect your pets, while keeping your home and family safe at the same time.

A Real Danger

One of the most dangerous aspects of rodenticides and insecticides is that they are designed to be tasty, otherwise why would a rodent or insect want to eat them? Unfortunately, pets also find these substances enticing. Even if your pet has never investigated rat or insect poison in the past, it’s not safe to assume they won’t do so in the future.

Many pet owners believe that as long as they place the rat, mouse, or roach bait in an area that’s inaccessible to pets, it’s safe to use. The problem with this logic is that rats and mice tend to transport the nuggets or granules of poison to their various food storage areas throughout the home, where pets may come into contact with them.

Symptoms of Rodenticide Poisoning in Pets

The ingestion of even a small amount of rodenticide or insecticide is likely to harm your pet, but how much damage it can cause is based on your pet’s size, the amount of poison ingested, and the active ingredient in the poison.

Brain swelling, internal bleeding, or hypercalcemia (high calcium levels that can lead to kidney failure) are most commonly seen among pets who have ingested rat and insect poison. Symptoms of rodenticide poisoning in pets include:

  • Pale gums
  • Lethargy
  • Blood in feces or urine
  • Bruising under the skin
  • Bleeding from the nose
  • Vomiting/diarrhea
  • Coughing/labored breathing
  • Seizures or muscle tremors

Getting Help

Insecticide or rodenticide poisoning in pets is a serious emergency. If your pet has eaten rat or insect poison, call us immediately or bring your pet in. We are open 7 days a week until 10PM for emergencies, otherwise check our website for the nearest emergency veterinary clinic.

If you still have the packaging from the poison, bring it with you to the hospital. It will help your veterinarian determine the best course of action for your pet.

Protecting Your Furry Loved Ones

The best way to protect your pet from accidental poisoning is to use alternative methods to take care of a pest problem, such as with traps or ultrasonic devices. You can also make your home less hospitable to pests by:

  • Filling in all gaps around the home that are larger than the diameter of a pencil
  • Keeping food in sealed containers or in the refrigerator at all times
  • Storing pet food in bins that can be securely closed after each use
  • Keeping your home, and the area around the outside of it, free of all debris and piles that can provide housing and bedding material for rodents

When choosing roach or ant bait, look for a product that is housed inside a bait station, which is designed to be accessible to insects and not pets. Keep these stations in their original packaging until they are used, and never place them where a pet can reach them.

As always, your team at Animal Kind Veterinary Hospital is here for you and your pet. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with your questions and concerns about your pet.